Re: FC5 mozilla/firefox can't openb .pdf files

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 17:11 -0700, Paul Erickson wrote:
Hi Matthew,

See below.

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Stuart Sears wrote:

Paul Erickson wrote:

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.

you're welcome.

When I click on a link to a .pdf file I get a "Unable to open document
Unhandled MIME type: 'application/octet-stream'"
Does this happen for every PDF or just some?
As far as I can tell, it happens to every pdf.

If you click Edit -> Preferences -> Downloads -> View Actions, is PDF listed? What does it say it will do in that case?

The only thing enabled is the "Open download manager"

Do you have evince or Acrobat Reader plugin installed? Do you have mozplugger installed? Is this a 64-bit or 32-bit system?

No, Acrobat is not installed. Neither is mozplugger. This is a 32-bit system.
Install acroread and install its plugin in /usr/lib/firefox.x.x

Better still, install the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and then you won't need to reinstall it every time firefox gets updated. And it'll work in several other browsers too.

Paul.