duplicating an installation

I know I saw in the archives messages regarding duplicating or backing up
a complete system to another disk but I was unsuccessful.

Here the scoop, I have a disk that is failing, of course its a single disk
system with multiple partitions (/ /boot /usr /var and /home)  I want to
duplicate the whole disk onto another disk.

Bringing the machine down to single user mode and doing a dump/restore to
a new disk is easy enough, however how to I re-install the boot loader?

does anybody have a step by step procedure to do a system recovery from
one disk to another?  right now there is no CD rom or floppy drive on the
system, I can install one if need be but would rather avoid it if
possible.

TIA, Jeff