Re: FC4 or FC5

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 12:04 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Peter Gordon" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > jdow wrote:

> >> By the way, has anybody noticed how much a license for Qt costs if
> >> you want to get PAID for software you right? I might as well simply
> >> get an MSDN license and develop for XP. Ditto with respect to the
> >> RHEL costs. They cost MORE than XP in the long run.
> > Qt and RHEL are both Free/Open-source. You do not necessarily need to
> > pay any licensing fees to make money on either of them. (Though, for
> > RHEL, you do have to remove the trademarked artwork and stuff before
> > you can redistribute it, with or without charging a fee for that
> > copying.)

> Reread the Qt license, Peter. If you have developed any software that
> uses Qt in any way (ie. for KDE) you MUST purchase a commercial license
> from TrollTech. And it is NOT cheap if you are a small developer.

	Not strictly true.  Only if you develop software that you commercially
market.  If you develop software for yourself, no...  If you develop
free software that you publish, no...  So your phrase "in any way" is
simply not true.  You only need one counter example to disprove a
statement like that and there's two.  The number of freeware projects
that use Qt should be evidence enough for that.

> (And with the current GPL nonsense I am STRONGLY disinclined to
> perform any serious development that surrounds me with its level of
> uncertainty over my legal liabilities for wanting to have bread on
> my table. So I grit my teeth and develop for Windows.)

	Then don't develop for Windows either.  You have even less assurances
there.  Pop quiz.  How many lawsuits has the GPL lost?  How may
intellectual property lawsuits has MS (we'll ignore the antitrust
lawsuits just for giggles but don't forget all the little guys, just
like you, who they've crushed when you accidentally develop something
they recognize as valuable to them)?  And, yes, there has been some
peripheral collateral damage there two, with MS refusing to indemnify
developers.

> {^_^}   Joanne

	Mike
--