Re: FC4 or FC5

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 00:41 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 09:12 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > How do oyu make money on software that you give away free?
> >
> > I think this is a critical question that needs a workable answer.
>
> It already has several.  Have you not read them?  That question is
> answered in many places on the internet.
>
> e.g. Support contracts:  Company 'A' provides support and assistance for
> a fee.

And in the RedHat case they combine this - and the original copy of
the software - with a contract that says you can only use that software
on one machine.  I'm not sure how they reconcile that with the GPL
requirement that no additional restrictions can be applied to any
copy of the software, but... At least they make the source RPMs
available and do so even for non-GPL'd components where it is not
a strict requirement.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx