Re: FC4 or FC5

Thomas Cameron wrote:
bruce wrote:
thanks thomas!!

any idea regarding rhel 5? i'd assume that centos (5) would be out shortly
thereafter as well...

RHEL 5 is slated for a December release, depending on feature completeness and quality.

I don't know about CentOS's release cycle. IMHO, even though they are technically true to the letter of the GPL, I think that they do is a blatant ripoff of all the hard work that Red Hat does in creating FC and then RHEL.

CEntOS does add value to RHEL because the users of the RHEL sourced distribution run into problems on occasion with the derived distribution. The bugs are examined by those who compile the distribution and file patches and/or reports back to the RHEL developers. Eventually, those using CEntOS may buy RHEL products when circumstances allow them and the product is affordable enough to warrant the move.

 If you want RHEL, spend the bucks and get it.  It is
not expensive, WS is only $179 and it contains everything you will need for a workstation. If you want a true server build, ES is $349 and that is still cheap.

The pricing of the product sounds a lot more affordable compared to the past pricing schemes I recall. If I ran a business where I needed a stable OS with long term support, I would give high consideration to investing in an RHEL release.

As stated earlier regarding RHEL4, it is pretty old in using technological changes within the FC3 release. I moved through the Fedora releases to date and do not need a super stable and frozen in time release. When the next RHEL release comes out later in the year, I might like the pricing, stability, features, support and other offerings enough to run RHEL as a base for running programs. I believe limiting filesytem choices and running non-native RHEL programs and still getting support are my only hold backs. The reduced programs within the distribution might be another consideration for choosing the distribution.

See https://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/ for pricing and details, and see http://www.redhat.com/rhel/ for links to comparisons of features and functions.

Thomas

Jim

--
People who push both buttons should get their wish.