Re: Clock applet is more expensive than other clocks!

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Paul Johnson wrote:

I think you are not using the rpm query correctly.  Look at the yum
dependencies:

# yum install beagle

Dependencies Resolved

Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
beagle                  i386       0.2.6-1.fc5.1    updates           1.3 M
Installing for dependencies:
evolution               i386       2.6.2-1.fc5.5    updates            12 M
evolution-sharp         i386       0.10.2-9.3       updates           146 k
spamassassin            i386       3.1.3-1.fc5      updates           891 k

Why in the shell should I have to have evolution and evolution-sharp
which depend on beagle in order to have beagle itself?

Ah, yes, I see.  Watch carefully, nothing up my sleeve.

$ rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides evolution`
evolution-sharp-0.10.2-9.3

And that (apparently ibeshell.so.0) is the only reason you need evo. Maybe libeshell.so.0 should be in evo-data-server instead. You could try filing a bug.

But evolution was not my original complaint.  My complaint was that
the clock can't be used unless you also install evolution-data-server.
I just wanted a clock.   In reality, You can't install FC5 with gnome
unless you install evolution-data-server.

That's not totally unreasonable. evo-data-server is a common backend for a lot of things--sort of the dbus of gnome.

$ rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides evolution-data-server`
evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
evolution-2.6.2-1.fc5.5
nautilus-sendto-0.4-7.2
ekiga-2.0.1-1