Re: Evolution updates breaking Exchange?

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 17:09 +0200, Espen Stefansen wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Irvine Short <irvine.short@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 09:58 +0200, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> >
> > > It's crashing for me:
> >
> > Glad I read your mails, I was about to try the update to see if they
> > fixed my access to the Global Address Book.
> >
> > It worked fine, now when I try and do a search there it just says "Error
> >
> > Any tips how to get further debugging info?
> >
> > --Irvine
>
> After trying to use evolution all day, i have to say it doesn't work
> for me. Sometimes i get it to work, but after a couple of minutes, it
> doesnt recieve any emails anymore. And after i restart it, it can't
> get a connection to the exchange server, it just times out. Or the
> program just hangs.
>
> Espen

I'll add my 2 cents worth.  This seems to have been a problem since I
installed FC5 and ran in the updates on about May 18.

It has become intolerable with the latest evolution* updates.

rpm -qa | grep evolution
        evolution-devel-2.6.2-1.fc5.5
        evolution-connector-2.6.2-1.fc5.4
        evolution-2.6.2-1.fc5.5
        evolution-data-server-devel-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
        evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
        evolution-webcal-2.4.1-3.4

When the failure occurs, evolution-exchange-server (or whatever it's
called) goes CPU bound and uses 43% of the memory (according to top).
There are 2 GB on this machine.

As a workaround, I configured IMAP and fetchmail to POP the mail from
the exchange server into a local IMAP store.  I have not seen any
further problems, so far, with evolution as the IMAP client.

I've also noticed that the development versions of evolution/connector
will not start at all on my rawhide machine.

There are literally hundreds of bugs documented against evolution on the
Novell bugzilla site.  Many of which seem similar to the latest
problems, but go back as far as the 2.0 version, maybe farther.
Feedback from Novell (formerly Ximian) has been almost non-existent.

With all of the new "features" in 2.6, I've converted to Thunderbird at
home and am seriously considering it at work.  Since the Global Address
Book has not worked since installing FC5 and evo 2.6, switching to
Thunderbird may not be much of an impact.

Sometimes a rant feels good :-)

Bob...