Re: Spare no expense laptop recommendations.

Look into the alienware boxes, out of Miami.   They seem to be pretty high end since they support all the latest gaming for all the windows freaks into that stuff.  They are suppossed to be good but pricey, don't know about the linux compatibility but last I checked they weren't in bed with M$ like the four letter word we all know and hate - Dell.  If you hand pick the chipsets and know what you are doing you could get a great box.

Emperor Linux dot com is suppossed to be a good source for linux based boxes, haven't used them but they have a good repu from what I can tell.

Finally there is a company in Orlando called United Computer Warehouse that sells some laptops for good prices if you are ok w/generic, straight from China from what I understand.  They don't deal retail though so you'd have to know how to do business with them.  I would try these three in this order.

Somebody told me the other day that there are really only about 8 laptop factories in the world so at some point there should be some clarity.

Cheers,
Another Unhappy Dell Laptop User (lat d610)

On 6/7/06, anthony baldwin <anthonybaldwin06@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I can order any laptop I want.  The only restrictions are that it must
>> be able to dual boot Win XP (home is OK) and a linux distribution.  I
>> use Fedora so I'd prefer one that runs FC5 without ndiswrapper.
>> I can't spend a week setting this up so if anybody knows a vendor in the
>> US that will supply such a machine already set up that would be a big
>> plus.  I'll use Redhat or any other major distribution if available.
>> /Bob Cahn
>> Gipsy Trail Club
>> Carmel, NY

Heck...if I could have brand-spanking shiny laptop and expense wasn´t an
option,
I´d get one of those nifty G5 powerbooks, and then run OSX, YellowDog
Linux,
and XP with Virtual PC.
I would really dig that.

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233