Re: Lucifer Lives (AKA libecal-1.2.so.3)

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:42:34 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

>> > Interesting. I wonder which versions you have at the moment?

>> [root@localhost btth]# rpm -q evolution-data-server gnome-panel
>> evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1
>> package gnome-panel is not installed
>
> OK, you have got the updated evolution-data-server package that is
> causing everyone problems. You've managed to get it installed because
> you don't currently have anything installed that depends on the old
> version of evolution-data-server.

I've gotten away with that trick two or three times before; but all those
times, installing the temporarily removed things back succeeded. :-\

> Try this:
> # rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/evolution-data-server-1.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm
> # yum install gnome-panel

> If that works, you'll then be in the same boat as the rest of us...

Took me a minute to copy that correctly; bash kept reading Pan's line ends
as <enter>. I hope this is the way you meant.

[root@localhost btth]# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/evolution-data-server-1.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm
Retrieving
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/evolution-data-server-1.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        evolution-data-server = 1.6.2-1.fc5.1 is needed by (installed)
        evolution-data-server-devel-1.6.2-1.fc5.1.i386

What the blinkety-blink-blink : "is needed by (installed)"???

Anyway, I went ahead, while I was at it :

[root@localhost btth]# yum install gnome-panel
[....]
---> Package gnome-panel.i386 0:2.14.1-1.fc5.1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 for package: gnome-panel
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3 is needed by package gnome-panel

So *is* that the same boat?? I daresn't reboot or even log out till I have
my gnome-panel back -- KDE is hard enough on me at it is ...

>> So x-y-z does not imply y subordinate to nor requiring x, nor similarly
>> with y & z??
>
> Not in this case. The evolution-data-server package contains some of the
> evolution libraries also used by packages other than evolution;
> splitting it out like this enables the other packages to be installed
> without having to install evolution itself.

Oh good. Exactly what I'd've wanted. Didn't realize nomenclature could
work that way. Many thanks!

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User