Re: installing FC4 isos from another linux box...

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 09:23, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > I mount the isos (loopback) in my public ftp directory and then do a
> > ftp install on the target machine.
>
> If you use NFS, you don't even have to do the loopback mount.  The
> installer will handle that for you.

I agree that NFS is probably easier. I'll probably use that method next
time around.

> I'm not sure anymore, but I believe the last time I read up on the
> installer, the NFS method would allow you to use the graphical
> installer whereas the FTP and HTTP methods would not.  I could be
> wrong on that though, so corrections are welcome.

Well, at least with the latest versions, the graphical installer had no
trouble with FTP. I do recall needing to use the text-based installer
for FTP, but that was a very long time ago.

What the installer did barf on was trying to FTP install from *CD*
images. Up to FC4, I mounted the various discs each in it's own
directory: ./disc1, ./disc2, and so on. Then I'd point the installer to
the disc1 directory and it would automatically find the subsequent discs
in their own directories.

In FC5, this didn't work! As soon as the installer needed a file from
something other than the first disc it would abort, saying that it
couldn't fine whatever RPM. It worked if I copied all the files from the
various isos so that they all appeared under a single directory, so I
presume it would work for the DVD image. I suppose that would be a bug?