Re: dns question

Terry Polzin wrote:
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 16:27, Robert Nichols wrote:
Ambrogio wrote:
Now I have a practical question, because I'm on a laptop and I'm on
customers network some days.

It's hard to recofigure DNS server on my laptop to forward queries to a
DNS server on customer LAN if I can't reach external DNS Servers because
of firewall?

There is a way to ask DHCP info but to ignore DNS info from DHCP Server?
Certainly.  See `man dhclient.conf`.  You just need a "request"
statement that asks for all the default options _except_
domain-name-servers.  On my own system I'm running BIND, so
my dhclient.conf contains a line:

      prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

That way, as long as my local server is running it will handle
any DNS requests.  If it fails, then the server(s) returned by
DHCP get used.
Where is the dhclient.conf file located?
I would use 'locate dhclient' to find it. If you installed the DHCP client in the last day or so, you may need to run 'updatedb' to refresh its database. Incredibly useful program...

Clint Olson