dns question

I added some information to my named configuration so sendmail could resolve the reverse look up of the private LAN addresses.... or at least get an error quickly instead of timing out

In order for this to work, I manually changed /etc/resolv.conf , deleting the exisiting nameserver statements, and adding nameserver 127.0.0.1

Works great.... UNTIL the network is restarted and the resolv.conf file is rewritten.... then the nameserver statements are back to the addresses from the ISP obtained via DHCP.

So, for an interesting experiment, I reconfigured the dhcp server in my router (cisco) to not pass the ISP DNS addresses to my server, instead use 127.0.0.1

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the server to be able to resolve any other addresses.... but it does....

Why? Seems silly to be asking why something DOES work.... but I don't understand how it can be resolving names like google.com, ibm.com etc etc, when it was not told which dns servers to use, other than "ask yourself"....

What am I missing? ;-)

Thanks,
Don