Re: problems with emacs (or tramp) on FC5 ?

Chris Jones wrote:

> On Sunday 04 June 2006 3:41 pm, Chris Jones wrote:
>> > I used TRAMP for a while, but I made the switch to sshfs.  It's behaved
>> > lot better for me.  I'd recommend looking into that unless you're
>> > married to TRAMP for some reason.
>>
>> Thanks for the info, I'll look into this.
>
> I've install sshfs from the yum repositories (fuse-sshfs-1.6-3.fc5). That
> went fine. From the sshfs web page I found that I simply create a mount
> point with
>
>  sshfs hostname: mountpoint
>
> however, this fails for me with
>
> fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> cheers Chris
>

>> I did try sshfs a long time ago, before I tried tramp, as its more useful
>> than tramp. At that time it did not work that well for me, and tramp was
>> better. However, that was a long time ago and perhaps things have changed
>> ?
>>
>> cheers Chris

You'll need to put yourself in the `fuse' group, I belive.  Can't remember
for sure, do an ls -l $(which fusermount).  You also might need to do a
modprobe on the kernel module it provides (not sure if the %post script in
the RPM takes care of this or not).  I believe the module is called fuse.
Again, can't remember for sure (and I'm not at my home computer), but do
"rpm -ql sshfs" and look for something getting installed in /lib/modules.

Sorry, if I was sitting at home, I could give you more concrete examples,
but I'm doing this all from memory right now.  If you hit any brick walls,
let me know.  I've been running sshfs with both Debian Sarge and Fedora
Core for about 6 months now and haven't had any real problems.

The only problem that I've had (and I think there's a workaround for this, I
just haven't had the time/energy to look into it) is how to make sure that
the connection stays alive while it's mounted.

--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ