Re: timer broken (was Re: fc5 hangs)

David L wrote:

The timer interrupt is incrementing very slowly.  Instead of 1000
Hz it's incrementing about once or twice per minute.  What would
cause that?  I had ntpd running, but I killed it.

There's your answer - kernel bug specific to your hardware.

Try downgrading your kernel to an earlier release, and see if the timer
(and other issues) disappear.

OK, I downgraded to 2.6.12 and let it run overnight.  Oddly, the timer
was getting 4 interrupts per second this morning.  The overnight
average was about 20 interrupts per second, which might mean
it ran for 7.5 minutes at 1000 Hz and then switched to 4 Hz.  However,
the date/time reported is correct, unlike when my system was "hanging"
before.

The system seems pretty fast and responsive, but I think top is
under-reporting the CPU usage by different processes.  Processes
that usually suck a lot of CPU are reporting less than 1%.  Are there
any kernel compatibility compatibility problems with running 2.6.12
with fc5?

Thanks...

                        David

PS - Since my problem was intermittent, I'm not sure if it has gone away.
I still am seeing something weird wrt the timer interrupts.