Re: sendmail questions about deferred messages

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 12:38 +0200, Ambrogio wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't have a good knowledge of sendmail.
> I'm created a fetchmail configfile that fetch a lot of mesages, and
> deliver them to my local account.
>
> I noted that sometime messages still in queue, whit a deferred time.
>
> I don't know why this appens, but I think that is because sendmail is
> configured to watch the amount of messages that a user send.
>
> Is this correct?

No. As Tim said, messages are queued (deferred) if they are
undeliverable for a reason that might not apply if delivery is retried
at a later time (a "temporary failure" condition). An example of such a
condition would be an inability to contact the recipient's mail server.

Messages are not queued if the reason for the message not being
deliverable is unlikely to change at a later time (e.g. destination
address does not exist).

sendmail keeps track of how long messages have been queued to that it
can "give up" trying to deliver them after a given period (typically 5
days).

> The same thing appens sometime when I send with sendmail to redhat
> account.
> I related that fetched messages in queue and outgoing messages in queue
> are related to fedora mailing list.

The redhat.com mail servers are reported to have a "greylisting"
facility that has affected some people in this way, though it's not
something I've ever noticed myself.

> There is a solution changing sendmail config file, or I have to wait
> sendmail deliver their messages?

You might try routing messages for redhat.com via your ISP's mail server
(e.g. using a mailertable entry) and see if that helps.

Paul.