Re: Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 05:43, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> Emacs has handled CTRL-C even in text mode since its inception.  That was
> in the mid to late '70's.  In Emacs, CTRL-C is one form of command prefix.
> Killing Emacs from within its window requires CTRL-X CTRL-C.

Emacs is it's own world.  I don't think it is reasonable to compare
its command set to anything else.

> (c) Often it seems as though the decisions about what keys to use for what
> purposes (and many other UI design decisions) are made by the developers
> with no attention paid to context, history, or relevant standards and
> guidelines.

Except that many of the decisions predate the history and context
you expect them to follow.  Most of what we expect these days
is at least slightly related to IBM's CDE work and motif
circa 1989 but motif's licensing kept it from being used
in the early open source work.  I don't think MS Windows
follows it strictly either.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx