Re: Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 13:03 +0930, Tim wrote:
> I find the Linux way of doing it a right pain in the bum.  Two typical
> scenarios:

There isn't "a Linux way of doing it". There is an explicit
copy/cut/paste mechanism using ^C, ^X and ^V, and there is the X11
"mouse select and paste" mechanism. Only the first one works in Windows,
both work in Linux (at the same time). Yes, under X11 in Linux (both
Gnome and KDE) you have two independent clipboards.

> First
> -----
> Linux:  I have some document with a word I'd like to replace.  I *have*
> to delete the word, find and highlight its new replacement, paste it
> into the document.
>
> Windows:  Highlight the word to be replaced, and paste the new word over
> the top of it.  I can do this multiple times, just with new pastes.  I
> don't have to delete + copy + paste ad nauseum.  And, no, sometimes
> doing a search and replace through an editor function isn't always
> doable.  What I put in the copy buffer stays there until I want rid of
> it.

Guess what, it works exactly that way in Linux, too. Just tried it in
gedit and ooo.

> Second:
> Linux:  I've highlighted some details from an e-mail that I want to put
> into the email configuration.  I open up the configuration, and the
> first editable data in it is already highlighted by the application.
> It's now in the copy buffer, and I can't paste what *I* had previously
> copied.  I can't go back to the other window and copy again, because
> operations with it are blocked.  I can't even see the other window,
> because two other windows are on top of it, and only one of them can be
> moved.  I have to close one window, move the middle one, re-open the one
> I want to edit.
>
> This is a HELL of a lot of mucking around.

Just do it the ^C/^V way then. Works just like in Windows. It is amazing
you parade your lack of skill and/or knowledge and try to palm it off as
some sort of Linux shortcomings.

All the best
Steffen.