Re: Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 18:27 -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:

I would be very happy if ctrls c, x and v would work the way they are
expected to work across the board.

I expect control-c to interrupt and kill an application as it has
for decades.  Why would you want to change that?

CTRL-C in a terminal window kills the running program launched from that window. CTRL-C doesn't (and never has in my recollection) kill the window itself.

 That the functionality seems to
vary among applications (along with right-click, middle-click and
shift-insert) makes life a whole lot more complicated than it should
be. Sometimes, it is rather frustrating if you are moving text
around a great deal between applications and sometimes the command
line.

Still, no one has said what doesn't work with right-mouse/copy and
paste.  I use those with synergy making a single keyboard/mouse
span several machines, both Linux and windows and there are few
exceptions to right-mouse copy/paste working the same even when
the clipboard gets dragged over to a different OS.

Having to reach for the mouse is a pain in the butt. Usually, keyboard shortcuts are much more efficient (modulo the need to learn new ones for every damned program--the fact that CTRl-W in the location field kills the current Firefox window is annoying as all get-out, because in most terminals it just backward-deletes a word).

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu