Re: Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 16:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:00 +1000, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> > Just do it the ^C/^V way then. Works just like in Windows. It is
> > amazing you parade your lack of skill and/or knowledge and try to palm
> > it off as some sort of Linux shortcomings.
>
> Nice try with the insults, jackass, but CTRL + C or V doesn't work in
> *all* applications, neither *do* all applications have right-click copy
> and paste options, and neither does highlight and middle-click pasting
> work in *all* applications.  You *have* to do combinations, some of
> which have really annoying effects.
>
> --
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

Hi All

Through out this thread I have not read any SPECIFICS,
 which applications don't work?
 which window manager are you using?
 which application won't let you switch windows?

It seems to me that there is a lot of calling of the "system" without
the detail to back it up, is it the "system" or a few buggy/misbehaving
applications?

If the applications don't work the way you think they should, have you:-
a) checked that you are allowed to do what you want, some applications
won't let you copy data for security reasons, putting data in pictures
on web pages for instance.
b) reported the bug/feature to the application developers/supporters.
c) checked your configuration to make sure you don't have something that
is inhibiting the action.
d) checked that something you have done has stopped it working. One of
my programs has to use CTRL + C to close files cos thats what the user
wanted. Another user had used CTRL + v to trigger their own macro (in
Excel!).
e) have you documented the precis actions that work/don't work so we can
look at the problem

Thank you for your time

Laurence

p.s. and we are not kids, so PLEASE lets not get into name calling and
play nice!