Online diary/Journal program(OT)

Hi
This is a off topic
I need to create a software which will operate as an online diary or journal. No frills inthis application atleast initially and should be console operated basically. My basic purpose is to just start the application and type in happennings for today. Also some date manipulation would be required like retreiving entries for 2 days prior to today etc.

How do i go abt this i.e
Which programming language
What database or txt file would be enough

I want this to be a learning experience.
I have very minimal exp in programming especially(C)

Any suggestions are welcome

--
िऩऩाद बापट