Re: FC5: Apache issue? Or something else?

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

Do you really need to restrict apache to listening on this one IP address, or could you not instead use:

Listen 80

That would listen on all interfaces, including localhost.

Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for replying again. I'm confused though...it says to do an IP address instead of just "Listen 80". Won't that "glom" up httpd (whatever they mean by that)? I could try, and I bet that's the problem, but I set that parameter like that on FC4 and it did not cause this problem.
Must be an Apache 2.22 thing.

(P.S. I just tried it. It worked...I can now see the web site on my machine. But is this safe?)

It's listening on all interfaces now, including localhost. This is only a problem if:

1. You trust yourself less than everyone else on the Internet, or
2. You want to run different services on that port for different interfaces.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's how I have my server set up anyway, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

Paul.

OK, sounds good. Thanks for your help!

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***