Re: FC5: Apache issue? Or something else?

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006, Tim wrote:

On one of my FC5 machines, I run a webserver (Apache 2.2.2).
I can connect to it normally from any web browser on any machine in the
world on the Internet...save one. The machine it's on! From that
machine, running Firefox or Ephiphany, it says that it cannot connect to
the Web server. Turning off the firewall doesn't help. Never had the
problem in FC1-4.

Two things spring to mind:  You don't have the server listening to the
interface you're trying to use on that machine.  You're trying to
connect to an external address, and your network doesn't loop around
that way.

 Any ideas?

Post your Apache configuration details, particularly what it listens to.
And say how you're trying to connect to it?  (External network address,
local network IP, localhost address, by named or IP address, etc.)

# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen xxx.xxx.xx.xx:80

Where the "x"'s are the IP address of the machine. I double-checked; no typos.

# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName www.example.com:80
ServerName www.machine.com:80

# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
# ServerName directive.
#
UseCanonicalName Off

I am bringing up Firefox 1.5.0.3 on www.machine.com and doing a standard http://www.machine.com in the browser window. No dice.

I did this with Apache 2.058. I am running 2.22 now.

Do you really need to restrict apache to listening on this one IP address, or could you not instead use:

Listen 80

That would listen on all interfaces, including localhost.

Paul.