Re: FC5: Sendmail error

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

When I manually type "newaliases" as root, it also gives me this message.
After doing a search on the Web, others have had the problem, but I
couldn't find a resolution. My permissions on the files in question:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root   9961 May 20 00:10 aliases
-rw-r----- 1 smmsp smmsp 24576 May 22 13:40 aliases.db

Those are correct permissions, from what I can tell. Any ideas? Now, here's the
kicker: When I remove aliases.db manually, and then type "newaliases"
everything is as shown above...*except* the user is root for aliases.db,
and I don't get the silly error message anymore. (Scratches head)...I
think I have owner or group permissions messed up somewhere, but I am not
familiar with the inner workings of Sendmail to figure this out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

aliases.db should be owned by root, not smmsp. Not sure how it gets that
way, but I've seen that before.

I think I might have found the problem: in sendmail.cf (yes, I know you're not supposed to dork around with it), the trusted user was smmsp. I made it root. Is that a good idea?

You shouldn't normally need a trusted user in sendmail.cf at all. It's an appropriate setting in submit.cf though.

I'd be inclined to do chown root /etc/aliases.db and then forget about it unless it somehow gets changed back to being owned by smmsp, in which case I'd be looking to find out how that happened.

Well, I did do that...change the permissions...and then this morning it was back to user smmsp. I have no clue how that happened. This is even after re-installing Sendmail.

Can you tell from the timestamp when exactly this happened, and associate that timestamp with a package upgrade, cron job, some event in the mail log etc.?

Paul.