Re: A Very happy Camper on FC4

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On 5/15/06, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > With fedora, the big reason to change is that you'll stop getting
>> > security updates for your installed version when the 2nd subsequent
>> > version goes into beta.
>> >

>> But I thought that is what the legacy project was for. I used FC1 until
>> last summer when I was between projects.  I will stay with FC4 until I
>> know I can get a reasonably safe install and the applications I use on a
>> daily basis are in the repositories.
>>

> Yes, I think you're right, that is what the legacy project is there for.

    Well the yum update seemed to have a whole lot of items for FC4,
like 500 and one upgraded Open Office to version 2.0. It is likely that
some new thing like a modified Firefox comes over the Internet from
Firefox direct. And it's no problem at all.

    And my idea of old is sure a longer period than the one used by
Fedora. I will keep FC4 for several years. There is no reason not to
since it's doing what I want just fine after initial bugs were yummed out.

You're prefectly right to do so. I was just curious. I am one who
stuck with Windows ME, even when Windows XP was available. I was dual
booting WinME with Fedora till I got a new machine which had XP on it
already. So if it works for you perfectly, there is really not reason
to upgrade.

I stick with the OS for Windows that is included with the computer. One is old enough to come with ME and it has one small partition for the kids taco bell games and such. Once you seen a blue screen in one version, the blue is the same shade in the newer versions also. Two other computers came with XP, one has it (Wife's) along with FC5. This one only has Fedora 5.

I asked on the test list about what FC6 has in store for us since some are still running older releases and core is shrinking. I got no response on the list but will be testing FC6 once the test cycle starts.

Since FC is free and does not cost to upgrade. I upgrade. Since Windows costs to upgrade and is not much better from release to release or security, I stay with whatever is licensed with the computer since it was bought regardless. For computers that I am the main user, windows does not exist on them.

Jim

--
When you go out to buy, don't show your silver.