Re: fc5: install everything?

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 08:21 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:

> >> OK, but does that differ greatly from what I said?  A lot of
> >> decisions seem to be made with no thought about the real-world
> >> effects.  For example if someone wanted to build PCs with
> >> fedora pre-installed, what might the user expect to find on
> >> it?
> >>
> > Whatever the "builder" chose to install. Doh!
> >

> Which the safest choice is "install everything" since the builder
> does not know exactly how the customer is going to use the machine.

Actually the better choice would be to install what *most* will use, and
provide media with the rest so they can tailor the install to fit their
needs.

No Windows machine comes with ANY apps installed except those the
builder chose to provide and that usually is something like microsoft
works and some media apps.  The flexibility and availability of apps for
Linux is overpowering even for the expert user to keep up with.  A
newbie would be totally overwhelmed and would have no clue as to the
number of apps installed if he was given 'everything'.

The typical workstation or server install contains hundreds more apps
than are readily available on a typical Windows install, even without
'everything'.