Re: hibernation, dual boot

Hello Mikkel,

On Tue, 09 May 2006 09:57:17 -0500 "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> wwp wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > I wonder if it's possible to suspend-to-disk, then boot to another OS,
> > which doesn't use the swap partition used by the previous one for
> > hibernation.
> >
> > More precisely, I've a laptop w/ FC5 and winXP installed, both entries
> > available thru the grub boot menu. When I need to reboot in XP, I'd like
> > to hibernate the running FC5, then boot to XP then later reboot to
> > de-hibernate. But when I boot the machine after suspending-to-disk I
> > don't get the grub menu, it automatically de-hibernate.
> >
> > Any hint?
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> It should not be a problem if you are using the Linux
> suspend-to-disk. If you are using the BIOS hibernate feature, that
> is another story. The way Linux does it is to basicly write the
> machine state to the swap file. Then when you boot Linux with the
> RESUME option properly set, it will check the swap file for the
> proper signature of a resume image, and use it if it is there. It
> does not matter what you have run between Linux boots as long as you
> have not touched the swap file, and that you have not modified any
> files that were open when you suspended the system. (Changing open
> files may be ok - it depends on how they were open.) Remember, the
> machine is completely powered down after a suspend to disk. So all
> the hardware has to be re-initialized when you resume. You may need
> to do a shutdown in XP, and then power back on before starting
> Linux, instead of just doing a reboot from XP. I have a couple of
> machines that I have to do a shutdown and restart any time I change
> between the two OS's or some hardware does not work.

I use pm-hibernate thru the acpi events. Now, part of my problem is that when
I power on my laptop (last operation was a suspend-to-disk in Linux), I don't
have to use any resume option or menu entry in grub. When the machine boots,
it directly does a resume of the suspended Linux. How to get the grub menu so
that I can jump in XP (then decide to resume the suspended Linux later)?

Regards,

--
wwp