Re: fc5: install everything?

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 09:45, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> I had a non sequitor response when I posted a RFE (188314) to allow creating
> raid 1 devices with only one drive during an install, so that people could
> upgrade by splitting mirrored drives and then putting the mirror back together
> again after things appear to be working. The response was:
> People using RAID1 are doing so with an expectation of some reliability which
> you don't get with a single drive.  We're not going to do this.

That's the real issue - the developers have no concept of
real-world use and have no intention to. Given an easy choice,
I'd always build partitions on RAID1 with a missing device.
It doesn't hurt anything and can be handy even if you just
occasionally plug in a USB or firewire drive and sync to it.

And in fact it is fairly painful even to build RAID1 with paired
partitions during installs.

> It should have been clear that the expectation was not to run raid 1 on one
> drive forever, but just during the install and testing period.

If you want to press the point that other people agree that
this is useful you might point out the SME server distribution
from http://www.contribs.org builds the 'broken raid' layout
automatically in a default install on a single disk machine
and provides a push-button upgrade to mirrored operation at
any later time.  It's built on Centos instead of fedora but
the raid code all comes from the same place.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx