Re: install of fc5 while running fc4?

[snip]
So you have two partitions and you want to be able to put stuff into the
other partition while you're running fc4 right?  the thing is, maybe you'd
like to just upgrade... as in yum upgrade..

I don't want to upgrade my fc4 partition... I like to keep my old installation until I'm comfortable that all of the tools that I use work in the new release. If you're suggesting I upgrade my (inactive) fc3 partition, I don't know how to use yum to upgrade an inactive partition, and I've had problems upgrading in the past. I trust new installations more than upgrades (although I have to admit that I
haven't tried an upgrade in several years, so maybe they work better now)?
Is it possible to yum upgrade an inactive partition? If so, how? I actually have two partitions... a boot partition and a root partition. Can I tell yum to upgrade an fc3 boot partition and a different fc3 root partition while I'm running fc4?

Thanks...
         David