Re: A FC6 suggestion.

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 08:49, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> The only concrete example I have seen put forward
> of a case where it might help
> is if one has two or more SCSI disks, and one fails,
> so that the others are re-named (eg /dev/sdb -> /dev/sda).
>
> Has this ever happened to anyone?
> I've been using SCSI disks for some time,
> and never known one to fail
> and simply be ignored by the SCSI controller.

It isn't just when it fails.  They move when you add
or remove other disks with lower scsi ID's or on
a controller that is detected earlier.  I have seen
that, but the reason - and fix - was always obvious
since it was a direct result of hardware changes, unlike
the failure to boot that may or may not happen depending
on the prior contents of a disk you are adding in a
non-boot position.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx