Re: A FC6 suggestion.

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 22:34 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 18:29, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately no one seems to be interested in that kind
> > > of cooperation.  If a disto does add something it wants it
> > > to be unique to their version and a reason to use only
> > > that version.  However, I'm not interested in being married
> > > to only one distribution so I stick to dd / tar and the
> > > things that work everywhere and simply complain about
> > > the way different unix flavors have always kept their
> > > differences to the detriment of acceptance
> > Les -
> >
> > If you use dd, that means you have two disks in a functioning system.
> > After the fact why don't you re-label
> >  the one you will moving?
>
> Then you have to also adjust grub and /etc/fstab to match on
> every box with opportunities for typos.  Normally I just change

Scripting can handle both the labels and making grub and fstab match
without the typos causing mismatching between the different points.

> the one I'm going to use as the master to use partition names
> instead of labels and then it doesn't matter whether the copy
> operation is by dd'ing the whole disk or tar/cp/rsync by
> filesystem.  It isn't that difficult to work around, but it
> seems like everyone who works with more than a few machines is
> going to be surprised by this issue eventually.

Part of any disk copy plan should take labeling into account in the
planning.  If it does not then it is a poor sys admin who gets caught by
surprise.

Tom made the suggestion that the labels can be changed after the copy is
complete (and before the reboot) which will easily handle the conflicts
by eliminating them before you get bit.

Yes, everyone may get caught by it.  So what?  Everything we overcome is
a learning experience that helps us. I got hit by it once.  The result?
-- I learned, and have never missed this in my planning since.

I think it is time for this long thread about a tiny molehill to
disappear (but that will happen only if the attempts to make it into a
crusade will go away).