Re: [Fwd: Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users]

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 06:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Again no one is insisting anyone should do anything

Well, actually the poster was.  They were trying to convince LUGs to do
something that they weren't doing.  Go back and read their original
post, and the links that they referred to in it (and the backscatter
their postings produced), and also see Mike McCarty's response (I think
it was him, I'm doing this by memory).  In short, if you think you're
going to help disabled people by telling them that you're going to help
them, and that you know better about how to help them, you're going to
get responses.

> So where is the problem in informing people of this need.

There is a difference between making information public, and from going
on a crusade.  The latter is what the original poster was doing.  When
doing so, you get responses, not all of them what they want to hear.
The original poster doesn't seem to understand this.

It wasn't a case of their message being "spam", but their political
agenda which they don't seem to realise is one.  I wasn't the sole voice
criticising them, heck look at the websites they provided, lots of
people pointed out issues with their approach, but they won't see it.

> Now you have been helpfull to people on the list so oyu are probably
> an ok guy. Why this request for help for disabled users has sent you
> into a rant I don't know.

When you (or they) post to a forum, any forum, you get a response.  If
that wasn't the poster's intention, why post in an interactive forum?
They brought up a debate, and got one.  If you/they don't like
debates/arguments, don't get into one.

I don't know the original poster's real background involvement with
disability issues, but it cloys with mine.  Where someone who thinks
that they have *the* answer, but it involves reorganising everyone
around them, and often inpractically.  I see them doing exactly the same
thing.

> But one thing I must ask if you are going to send copies of your
> opinion to me personally you have to stop using a mailing address that
> can't be replied to

That one's your fault.  If you're going to put your address into the
reply-to header, you get a personal reply *and* the list gets the public
one automatically, both at the same time.  If you don't want personal
replies, don't request them in the first place.  You've done it again,
so you get another.  When you put addresses in the reply-to, you get
replies to those addresses.  They're instructions to do so, not "if you
feel like it, do this".

I read messages from the public lists.