Re: [Fwd: Re: Open Letter: How the FOSS Community May Help Disabled Users]

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 06:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

Again no one is insisting anyone should do anything

Well, actually the poster was.  They were trying to convince LUGs to do
something that they weren't doing.  Go back and read their original
post, and the links that they referred to in it (and the backscatter
their postings produced), and also see Mike McCarty's response (I think
it was him, I'm doing this by memory).  In short, if you think you're

You recall well.

going to help disabled people by telling them that you're going to help
them, and that you know better about how to help them, you're going to
get responses.

Count on it. That's exactly why I responded. My girlfriend is
handicapped, and I am somewhat sensitive to people insisting
they know what we need. I especially get irate when people
go on a crusade like this, telling handicapped people that
they don't know what is good for them, and that the crusader
knows better than the handicapped people what they need.

So where is the problem in informing people of this need.

There is a difference between making information public, and from going
on a crusade.  The latter is what the original poster was doing.  When
doing so, you get responses, not all of them what they want to hear.
The original poster doesn't seem to understand this.

Why I responded.

[snip]

I don't know the original poster's real background involvement with
disability issues, but it cloys with mine.  Where someone who thinks
that they have *the* answer, but it involves reorganising everyone
around them, and often inpractically.  I see them doing exactly the same
thing.

His stuff makes him look like a do-gooder well-intentioned but
without-a-clue nosy Parker. To me, anyway.

"Here, I'm not handicapped, and know nothing about what it is
like to be handicapped, but I have THE ANSWER for your needs."

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.