Re: On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

Markku Kolkka wrote:
A.J. Bonnema kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 30. huhtikuuta 2006 09:30):
AFAIK my firewall has all ports closed for both TCP and UDP.
However, I have no means of checking that this is true.
Through the site "Shields Up" (www.grc.com) I have been able
to check that *some* UDP ports are closed (windows related),
but that is no surprise as I run FC5 and the Windows machines
are currently not connected.

There are many other security scanning services on the Net with more advanced capabilities than grc.com, e.g:

Security Space (registration needed):
https://secure1.securityspace.com/smysecure/basic_index.html
PC Flank Advanced Port Scanner:
http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1.htm
DSLReports Port Scan (requires Java browser plug-in):
http://www.dslreports.com/scan

I have been adjusting firestarter for several days to no avail. I like it because when I have a problem it often lists something as blocked rather than having to test by stopping the firewall completely. Presently I have the FC-5 default firewall and Firestarter enabled but when I go to GRC Shileds Up it displays a field of red, indicating 1056 open ports. I know this is not the case since I have to open ports to make sftp, ssh, etc. work?

I assume it is the Netgear "wireless" router responding to their test? Now I just ran PC Flank of which I was unaware until you mentioned it and it shows only port 80 open. Any suggestions welcome ...

Bob Goodwin    Zuni, Virginia   w2bod
 	Port: 		Status 	    	Service 	    	Description
21 stealthed FTP File Transfer Protocol is used to transfer files between computers 23 stealthed TELNET Telnet is used to remotely create a shell (dos prompt) 135 stealthed RPC Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is used in client/server applications based on MS Windows operating systems 137 stealthed NETBIOS Name Service NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood 138 stealthed NETBIOS Datagram Service NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood 139 stealthed NETBIOS Session Service NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood 1080 stealthed SOCKS PROXY Socks Proxy is an internet proxy service 1243 stealthed SubSeven SubSeven is one of the most widespread trojans 3128 stealthed Masters Paradise and RingZero Trojan horses 12345 stealthed NetBus NetBus is one of the most widespread trojans 12348 stealthed BioNet BioNet is one of the most widespread trojan 27374 stealthed SubSeven SubSeven is one of the most widespread trojans 31337 stealthed Back Orifice Back Orifice is one of the most widespread trojans
 	80 	  	open 	    	HTTP 	    	HTTP web services publish web pages