On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

Hi all,

A common problem with passwords are their guessabilty (yes, as a non-native English speaker, I too make up words.....). For instance, even though I have taught my daughter to not use dictionary words, names etc, her password for one of the online accounts got hijacked. What happened was, she used: _____ (five underscores) as a password: arghghgh.

But it did make me think again about the security of my home network. Unfortunately most passwords are dictionary words, that are easy to guess using f.i. the john password guesser program, combined with numbers and if you are lucky a special charactor or two.

What I wonder about is the following:

* given that all ports are closed to external contact through a physical allbeit consumer oriented firewall, just means I am safe for port-scanners. But does it mean that I am safe from cracker systems / programs? Is there a way to break in, without allowing external contact through one of the ports? (not including trojans and the like).

* A second issue is: suppose I would force my family to use really random passwords (like characters picked from a one-time pad). And now suppose I lose my root-password: would I be able to rectify this, without destroying the data?

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)