Re: On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

Joe Barnett wrote:
A.J. Bonnema wrote:
Hi all,

A common problem with passwords are their guessabilty (yes, as a non-native English speaker, I too make up words.....). For instance, even though I have taught my daughter to not use dictionary words, names etc, her password for one of the online accounts got hijacked. What happened was, she used: _____ (five underscores) as a password: arghghgh.

But it did make me think again about the security of my home network. Unfortunately most passwords are dictionary words, that are easy to guess using f.i. the john password guesser program, combined with numbers and if you are lucky a special charactor or two.

>> <snip>

apg ("yum install apg" should do the trick I would think) will help generate (relatively?) secure passwords, and by default will generate some that are least somewhat easy to remember though should be very difficult to guess attack.

Try running it with the following command:

apg -M SNCL -r /usr/share/dict/words

which generates output something like this:

Kam5quon!
2FrijibIb]
er7Oddus`
Un'blahij1
tru~Glac2
3Odnirs%

My guess is that any of the above should be reasonably secure and *not too* difficult to remember.

Thanks man, I am going advocate the use of this one to my family members and if necessary, force passwords.

I was wondering if I can disable users from changing their own passwords (FC5 and XP)?

<snip>
Good luck,

Joe

Thanks Joe,