[SOLVED] Re: Hotplugging USB sccanner in FC5, device not detected

Richard England wrote:
I tried this in the previous thread but perhaps it was to buried in the thread to be picked up on. One more time and I'll leave everyone in peace.

When I plug in my Canon LiDE 30 USB scanner into my FC5 box and fire up Xsane, it announces that it cannot find a scanner. However, if I leave it plugged in, logout, and log back in, then Xsane finds the scanner and every thing works swimmingly. Under FC3 it does not seem to matter. Hot plugging the scanner works fine.

Can anyone shed light on why the "hot plug" capability is not working for FC5? I did notice the "hot plug" scripts are gone but I assumed that was because UDEV (or HAL, or something else) was suppose to take care of this.

Any assistance or enlightenment would be appreciated. Is there a good tutorial on UDEV etc. that might tell me what is suppose to take place so I can attempt a debug?

Thank you,

Solved, at least to my satisfaction.

hotplug script were apparently removed, as I suspected, in lieu of UDEV.
/etc/udev/rules/60-libsane.rules

contains a list of the various USB plotters Sane knows about. For my scanner, the lines read:

#Canon Inc. | CanoScan N1240U/LIDE 30
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="220e", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k"

By changing the second of the two lines to read:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="220e", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k", MODE="0666"

I can successfully hotplug the scanner and use at as a normal user.

I understand that "0666" is a little wide open but without physical access to the machine, no one is likely to be able to connect the scanner anyway.

I tried limiting this by adding GROUP="scanner" to the UDEV rule, creating the group "scanner" and adding my account to that group but it seems that unless I do a "newgrp scanner" to change my primary group, I can't access it.

I'd be glad to learn the proper way to limit this further, or the Gnu-Linux-proper way to use groups (they don't seem to be exactly as I'm used to on Unix) if anyone wants to enlighten me.

Thanks for listening.

--
--R
/Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./