Re: On passwords, securtiy and real -sweat, blook and tears- life

Kwan Lowe wrote:
A common problem with passwords are their guessabilty (yes, as a
non-native English speaker, I too make up words.....). For instance,
even though I have taught my daughter to not use dictionary words, names
etc, her password for one of the online accounts got hijacked. What
happened was, she used: _____ (five underscores) as a password: arghghgh.

I'm not convinced that it's the guessability of passwords that's their downfall.
From what I've seen, the biggest problem is clear-text passwords moving naked across
the Internet. For example, many of us are subscribed to various lists. Many of them
send a password reminder once a month in plaintext. Many people use the same
passwords across multiple sites. This means that anyone who has access to the mail
(the ISP, an administrator, etc.) has access to possible multiple passwords. Then
there are un-encrypted web logins.

Hi Kwan,

I agree. The downfall of the pass should be near, given these factors. Probably something with certificates or PKI would be better. Still, passwords are being used extensively, especially on the net. And the point is, that not all net-ids-password combinations are innocent, if they get cracked. Take paypall, banking userids etc.

(I am glad that my bank (a dutch corporation) has userid, password plus a number per transaction: the number varies for each transaction. It is not sent in cleartext but in snailmail or sms.)

<big snip> I think I also agree to the rest of your story (although I am not technical enough to get all of it). The bottomline AFAICS is:

* the tougher the password, the better the protection
* don't use the same password for different sites.
* change your passwords regularly

Obviously there still is the problem of phishing: no matter how strong your password is, if you succumb to phishing, they're useless. So this is mainly a point of educating.

And, as one security expert said: it is better to write down your strong passwords than having weak passwords. So one solution (excluding phishing) is:

* have an application or a file containing all passwords plus the site they are used for
* have all passwords be strong
* only remember the password to read the file (or write it down in your secret diary...)
* being able to read the passwords online and offline

So next, I will start looking for an application to have my passwords in online.

One other point you made was about the graphics file.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)