Re: NetworkManager update

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 19:11 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>
>> Qui, 2006-04-27 às 18:27 -0400, Gene Heskett escreveu:
>>
>>> I put that stuff in yesterday, made little difference, NM is just as
>>> much the connection assassin as ever, and a wee bit quieter while doing
>>> it, so now we have MDI what the heck its actually doing.  Is this thing
>>> supposed to have a configuration setup gui or anything like that to
>>> facilitate telling it what to do next?
>>>
>>> I tried it again today after doing a service network stop, then a
>>> service NetworkManager start, which was fairly quiet but never brought
>>> a working connection back up till I had to kill it, and do a pair of
>>> service network restarts.  Then I was hooked up again.  I let it run
>>> for about 5 minutes and it never queried the dhcp server.
>>>
>> NetworkManager is about as bad a piece of software as beagle is.
>>
>> Pushed into wide usage too early in the state of development, they're
>> creating an image that is hard to erase. No matter how promising these
>> programs are, the necessity and failure to provide are so evident that
>> they would best be removed from mass deployment before it's an indelible
>> image, until they work in common scenarios.
>>
>> NetworkManager is useless on a managed network as on the workplace it
>> usually is.
>> NetworkManger is useless on home networks but for the technical
>> illiterate, who don't even have a clue of how to take minimal cautionary
>> actions of protection which would render it useless (hiding essid, wap,
>> static networks, etc...).
>>
>> So what use is it for again? It's not the "promise" I criticize, but the
>> way it is being "mass deployed" without even a marginal thought.
>>
>> Rui
>>
> What is the above all about? I use NetworkManager at home and at work
> and it works well. Better than anything else I have found to do wireless
> deployment.

I too use network manager at home and at work; I use it on my desktop
and laptop machines.  I started using in in FC4, through FC5 test and
finally on FC5.  It hasn't been without glitches, but I must compliment
Dan Williams and his colleagues on there efforts to make this a very
useful control point for wired networks, wireless, dialup, and vpn.  I
use all of these in some combination from my home, office, laptop and
desktops.  Whenever I ask a question or file a bug he has been responsive.
Most of my problems with NM and wireless have come from the wireless
drivers (I use madwifi) and if you ask your questions here you can learn
about all the inconsistencies of different chipsets when doing scanning,
dealing with WEP or WPA, etc.
One of fedora's purposes is to put things like NM into wide distribution
to test it out and work out the kinks.  One has to intentionally turn it
on.  I do and it works great for me.  However, I put some effort into
providing feedback to the developers so that it would.

--
   __o    Brian "la lumaca"
 _`\<,_