Re: Difference between Debian and other flavours of Linux

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Mike McCarty wrote:

Tim wrote:
One of the dislikes I have with Fedora *is* the release schedule.
There'll be a release around a certain date, ready or not, sensible or
not.  A new release comes up around the time the last one has many of

That's just what Fedora is. The releases are time based, not
readiness or QA based.

You do realize that we slipped the release of FC5 because it wasn't ready at the initial date, right? :-)

We *try* to do a 6 month release cycle, but we don't demand it "just because". It's a goal, and it gives us something to shoot for, and keeps in mind the Fedora motto of rapid progress.

FC3 -- November 2004
FC4 -- June 2005 (7 months)
FC5 -- March 2006 (9 months)

Fedora is not meant to be the OS with long release cycles and little churn. The key is balancing the rapid progress with quality and stability. Sometimes we do that better than other times, but we are consistently getting better at this, IMHO.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ gpg key -- http://people.redhat.com/~mspevack/mspevack.asc