Re: Difference between Debian and other flavours of Linux

Tim wrote:
Tim:

One of the dislikes I have with Fedora *is* the release schedule.
There'll be a release around a certain date, ready or not, sensible or
not.  A new release comes up around the time the last one has many of

That's just what Fedora is. The releases are time based, not
readiness or QA based.

the bugs ironed out, yet the new release is so radically different that
you can't take advantage of the information gleaned over the last one.
It won't be a fixed version of the prior release, it'll be a different
version.  It's case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Paul Howarth:

Taking it as read that Fedora is a distribution that tries to keep up
with upstream releases, how long would you suggest the interval
between releases be? The longer you leave it, the more different it's
going to be.

When it's ready.  When it works.  When something is a significant
improvement over a prior release to justify a whole new OS.

There's zero value in bringing a product out on a certain date
regardless of its operating condition, and from some points of view,
there's *negative* value in doing so.

Depends on what you want to use it for. For me, I find that FC
release philosophy has negative value as well. I installed it
because I landed a contract, and the people paying me asked
me to install it. When my girlfriend wanted to abandon Windows XP
as a lost cause, I suggested that Linux had come a long ways from
when we tried, and dusgustedly abandoned, Red Hat 6.something.

But I specifically recommended against Fedora Core. She now runs
Debian, which seems to be fine.

There's a significant advantage in having a long-lived OS, which allows
programmers to build for a known goal.  Some program development is

Yes, there is. But Fedora Core is not that. Debian is. CentOS is
(to a lesser extent, IMO).

[snip]

Remember how older, Red Hat Linux, releases used to have longer lifes,
with sub-versions before radical changes (e.g. 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3)?
Where OS faults (supposedly) got fixed, before moving onto a new one.

You may want to investigate Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) as it
may suit your needs better. Or a re-spin like CentOS, whitebox,
or Scientific Linux. Or another distro like Debian (which I
recommend).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.