Re: A question on installing - FC5 32bit and M$Win2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Mauriat Miranda wrote:

On 4/24/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To add, a /boot partition is not required. Linux can boot from either
a primary partition or a logical partition.

Hmm.  I didn't know GRUB could boot from a logical partition.

Actually the last I recall both grub and lilo could do this for quite
some time now. I think I've been doing it since RH9(?). I would always
keep an unused /boot primary partition, but I never used it. Since my
last hard drive installation, I've completely eliminated the /boot
partition.

But grub can't boot from an LVM logical volume.  I (and the FC5 installer)
generally put everything possible in an LVM except for a small /boot
partition (though I have more separate partitions in the LVM than the
installer's default).  That way, I can resize filesystems easily later on.

I do not know LVM that well. If I had (1) NTFS for windows, (2) /boot,
(3) swap and (4) LVM ...  then can these all be primary partitions?

Yes, but you have no additional possibilities. But swap can live inside an LVM. You might also want a FAT32 partition for file transfer between Win and Linux. Some machines come with a diagnostics or restore parition that is primary also.

-Mauriat

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences