Re: A question on installing - FC5 32bit and M$Win2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm going to install FC5_32 and M$Win2000 on the same drive as a test
ONLY.  Installing M$Win2000 is only to satisfy the technical support of
ASUS.  Whenever I asked a question on the motherboard A8N-VM the only
reply from them is "We don't support Linux" only "Win2000, XP, etc." as
printed on the manual.

I'm prepared to prepartition the HD first as follows.  a 40G HD

Partitions
1) for FC5_32
100M /boot
10G /
15G /home

2) for Win2000
10G

3) the remaining capactity for future use

I wonder whether;

1) installing Win2000 first OR FC5_32 first

Installing Win2K first is recommended, although the other way around is also possible. Note that Win's boot disk and /boot must be primary partitions.

2) would their installation affect each another, i.e. the latter
install OS will influence the first OS already installed.

The only thing you really need to worry about is the MBR. What I do on dual-boot machines is install the Linux boot loader in the boot record of the /boot partition. After the install and before first boot, I use the rescue disk to run fdisk and make /boot the active partition. That way, the disk's MBR is always under Windows's control, and the two OS's don't have to fight about it.

TIA

B.R.
SL

--