Re: A question on installing - FC5 32bit and M$Win2000

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Mauriat Miranda wrote:

On 4/23/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1) installing Win2000 first OR FC5_32 first

Installing Win2K first is recommended, although the other way around is
also possible.  Note that Win's boot disk and /boot must be primary
partitions.

To add, a /boot partition is not required. Linux can boot from either
a primary partition or a logical partition.

Hmm.  I didn't know GRUB could boot from a logical partition.

But grub can't boot from an LVM logical volume. I (and the FC5 installer) generally put everything possible in an LVM except for a small /boot partition (though I have more separate partitions in the LVM than the installer's default). That way, I can resize filesystems easily later on.

2) would their installation affect each another, i.e. the latter
install OS will influence the first OS already installed.

The only thing you really need to worry about is the MBR.  What I do on
dual-boot machines is install the Linux boot loader in the boot record of
the /boot partition.  After the install and before first boot, I use the
rescue disk to run fdisk and make /boot the active partition.  That way,
the disk's MBR is always under Windows's control, and the two OS's don't
have to fight about it.

Or an alternative is to use the NT boot loader (NTLDR).

ps. Don't forget about your SWAP partition.

-Mauriat

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences