Re: [Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 19:12 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 16:31, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 05:24 -0700, Rickey Moore wrote:
> >> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >>         On Saturday 22 April 2006 03:55, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >>         > I can confirm that I was forced to make changes in
> >>
> >>         cupsd.conf by hand to
> >>
> >>         > allow any thing but the localhost to print to my printers
> >>         > by
> >>
> >>         cups.
> >>
> >>         > Once I set the browse option to allow the other machines
> >>
> >>         see the
> >>
> >>         > printers, and then set the Allow From option to allow the
> >>
> >>         local network
> >>
> >>         > to connect I am able to print from other machines on my
> >>
> >>         local network.
> >>
> >>         > It seems the cups web interface only is designed to
> >>
> >>         configure local
> >>
> >>         > printing and has no options to set things to allow
> >>         > anything
> >>
> >>         else on the
> >>
> >>         > LAN to use the printer.
> >>         >
> >>         > This is definitely something that needs to be improved to
> >>
> >>         allow new or
> >>
> >>         > non-technical users to configure printers for network use,
> >>
> >>         not just on
> >>
> >>         > the localhost.
> >>
> >>         Intrigued by this thread, since I use networked printing all
> >>         the time, I tried
> >>         to use the cups interface on this box to add another
> >>         configuration of my
> >>         printer. It appeared to complete, telling me that it had
> >> added the printer.
> >>         Checking on the server, I found that no new printer had been
> >>         added there.
> >>         Wondering if it had merely set up a local configuration to
> >> be piped through,
> >>         I decided to try a test print of a photo. The new printer
> >>         didn't show up on
> >>         the printer list. Then I tried to print a test page, and got
> >>         the message
> >>         that the target printer doesn't exist.
> >> Way back in 2000, when I worked at RH, I had to come in from the
> >> cold and admit that I couldn't get my GF's printer to work at all.
> >> Toxic SHAME!! I brought the entire system to work, and no one else
> >> could get it to work, and they were the REAL experts!! I finally rpm
> >> -e'd samba. God only knows why or how that came to me to do so...
> >> and then the printer worked. I had beat myself up for over a -year-,
> >> and had come to the conclusion that there was something fundementaly
> >> wrong with me / linux / my system and it was Samba, all along.
> >>
> >> So, you might wish to check out your printer running locally first,
> >> then jump into the networking end. Your message indicates it works
> >> OK on localhost. That's good. Beat on your samba settings, that's
> >> most likely where your permission problem lies.  I still shudder to
> >> think about the hell I went through with emails and postings all
> >> over the place just to locally print a page. <shudders> Ric

> [...]
----
rather curious advice from someone who uses smbfs instead of nfs to
share files between Linux systems.

Samba automatically gets/shares cups printers with only minor
adjustments to smb.conf on the cups/samba server. I find using
Windows/Samba based shared printers easier to use than cups shared
printer but I can do either. Samba configuration on a system attempting
to use a remote Windows/Samba based printer is not meaningful.

Craig