Re: [Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 22 April 2006 03:55, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I can confirm that I was forced to make changes in cupsd.conf by hand to
> allow any thing but the localhost to print to my printers by cups.
> Once I set the browse option to allow the other machines to see the
> printers, and then set the Allow From option to allow the local network
> to connect I am able to print from other machines on my local network.
>
> It seems the cups web interface only is designed to configure local
> printing and has no options to set things to allow anything else on the
> LAN to use the printer.
>
> This is definitely something that needs to be improved to allow new or
> non-technical users to configure printers for network use, not just on
> the localhost.

Intrigued by this thread, since I use networked printing all the time, I tried
to use the cups interface on this box to add another configuration of my
printer. It appeared to complete, telling me that it had added the printer.
Checking on the server, I found that no new printer had been added there.
Wondering if it had merely set up a local configuration to be piped through,
I decided to try a test print of a photo. The new printer didn't show up on
the printer list. Then I tried to print a test page, and got the message
that the target printer doesn't exist.
Way back in 2000, when I worked at RH, I had to come in from the cold and admit that I couldn't get my GF's printer to work at all. Toxic SHAME!! I brought the entire system to work, and no one else could get it to work, and they were the REAL experts!! I finally rpm -e'd samba. God only knows why or how that came to me to do so... and then the printer worked. I had beat myself up for over a -year-, and had come to the conclusion that there was something fundementaly wrong with me / linux / my system and it was Samba, all along.

So, you might wish to check out your printer running locally first, then jump into the networking end. Your message indicates it works OK on localhost. That's good. Beat on your samba settings, that's most likely where your permission problem lies.  I still shudder to think about the hell I went through with emails and postings all over the place just to locally print a page. <shudders> Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/