Re: [Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 12:36 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > In each of the location stanzas of the type above I added another
> > "Allow From x.x.x.x" line with the IP of the remote workstation.
> > Now when I restarted cupsd I can print from the remote workstation.
> >
> > This is at best a work-around and I need to find out why it cannot be
> > configured this way using the cups interface (or file a bug because it
> > cannot).
>
> My conclusion when modifying CUPS some time ago
> was that I could _not_ make all necessary changes
> through the web interface.
> I had to make some modifications "by hand" in /etc/cups/ .
>
> I'd be interested to know if I was correct.

I can confirm that I was forced to make changes in cupsd.conf by hand to
allow any thing but the localhost to print to my printers by cups.
Once I set the browse option to allow the other machines to see the
printers, and then set the Allow From option to allow the local network
to connect I am able to print from other machines on my local network.

It seems the cups web interface only is designed to configure local
printing and has no options to set things to allow anything else on the
LAN to use the printer.

This is definitely something that needs to be improved to allow new or
non-technical users to configure printers for network use, not just on
the localhost.

As Gene says I use the gutenprint drivers and not the foomatic ones.