Re: Router as embedded Linux?

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Neil Cherry wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:
Neil Cherry wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

Has anyone considered using a cheap router as a cheap embedded
Linux machine? Or are the peripherals present just too skimpy?

You mean like a Soerkis box? Or the WRT54G (a MIPS processor, I
think). I had a working setup on a PC running at 333MHz, no hard
drive, net booted, 64M RAM (only needed 12M).

There is also the WRT54GL. Linksys stopped making the linux based
WRT54G and WRT54GS. They went the closed cheapo route with the box
but the GL is supposed to be the same as the WRT54G used to be.

I have the WRT54GL and I use the same software a WRT54G V4.0
uses. BTW, some folks have gone to great effort to get Linux
running on the WRT54G V5.0 (the one that runs VxWorks). I don't
think it's worth it but someone did it. It's difficult to do
and definitely not for everyone.

And sorry for the lumping of the WRT family into the reference
WRT54G, I get lazy.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site