Re: FC5 + new gnome terminal goes to background

It's the "new windows open in the background when started from
gnome-terminal" thread again!

Paul Howarth wrote:
> I actually like the new behaviour. When working on a slower machine, it can
> take a long time for windows of a big application to appear. In the meantime,
> I like to get on with other things and I don't like having the focus stolen
> from me when the big app eventually turns up.

(Personally, I agree).

yonas abraham replied:

> That is an excellent idea. I like that one when they introduce it in FC4. But
> we are talking about If I requested for a new window and I didn't  do any
> activity, the new window should be the focus.

Problem is that there's a "race condition". Humans can only react so
fast.

If I start a program, keep working in the old terminal, and the new one
comes up behind the old, I'm happy.

If I think for a bit, and *then* decide to type, the window manager
might think I'm not interested in that window. So between me telling my
fingers to type and the keypresses being registered by the system,
there's quite a lot of time for the new window to appear in front of
what I was typing into.

Ideally, a window should not appear if there will be typing or window
interaction in the next second or so. That requires a window manager
that can predict what humans will do in the future...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Space Opera: General term for a subgenre of adventure
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | SF in which the men are heroic, the women beautiful,