Re: Router as embedded Linux?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:01:35AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
> >Mike McCarty wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone considered using a cheap router as a cheap embedded
> >>Linux machine? Or are the peripherals present just too skimpy?
> >

> >You mean like a Soerkis box? Or the WRT54G (a MIPS processor, I

Soekris. Or wrap from pcengines, if you're in the EU.

Or any hardware supported by OpenWRT: http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

A Linksys WRT54GS (caveat: the newer versions are crippled) runs
very well with White Russian even without external storage.
If you go for an Asus WL-500g Deluxe with an USB Flash stick
or an external USB hard drive you'd get far more storage space.

OpenWRT has a large package depository (both official and unofficial)
worth checking out.

> >think). I had a working setup on a PC running at 333MHz, no hard
> >drive, net booted, 64M RAM (only needed 12M).
>
> Yes, that's the idea. I was wondering about tinkering around
> with a router as an embedded machine. Some years ago, I fiddled
> with a couple of machines which were originally modems, with
> 8031 processors in them. They made fine little embedded processors.
> I used the LED ports (you know, the status LEDs like "high speed",
> and "DTR" and "CTS" etc.) for my output bits, and the DIP switch
> configuration I took out to a panel for input bits, and of course
> it had RS232 built in.
>
> I just wonder whether a router might not be usable as a cheapo
> embedded system running Linux.

Do not wonder -- many people are doing just that. The main advantages
are: no movable parts, silent, low-power (a running PC will set you
back some 1 $ for each W/year, about $250/year for a 250 W machine --
compare that with a 5 W embedded) and it's sufficiently weird to be
difficult to compromise by script kiddies (MIPSel shell code? whazzat?).