Re: Firefox won't print to the local printer, other things will

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 21:14, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> although the CUPS "print test page" feature worked, you can't print a
> >> webpage from Firefox, or any other web browser, despite this printer
> >> being picked as the printer to use.
> >>
> >> Evolution can print, if you pick the printer specifically, the generic
> >> Postscript option does nothing.  GEdit can print.  Some other things
> >> can, others can't.
>
> Anne Wilson:
> > Tim, if you use gnome or gnome apps, delete the existing printer line (or
> > copy it out, if you want to sure you can put it back) and enter 'xpp'.
> > I'm a kde user, and use 'kprinter', as it is more flexible than xpp, but
> > I have used xpp in the past with no problem at all.
>
> If you mean replacing this line in the Firefox printing configuration
> with "xpp", then that didn't help.:
> lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}
>
> I can't find anything that refers to xpp, either (not even a "yum search
> xpp" or "yum search XPP").

That's the line to replace.  Yes, I can't find it either, which surprises me a
bit.  As far as I know xpp is a fairly standard gnome printing package.

> NB:  I use Gnome, and have no KDE installation on my systems.  'tis the
> way it's going to stay, too.

Your choice.  Personally I prefer to use the best tool for the job in hand, be
it gnome or kde-based.

Anne